Friday 27 September 2013

Getting to know the Nexus 7 - New 2013 version

A week with the Nexus 7

Of course, after getting the Nexus seven I spent a certain amount of time with setting it up. This was all very easy and straightforward, I installed most of the applications same as I had already purchased and installed on the Samsung Galaxy S3. There were one or two applications that I hadn't really been using, so no point installing them on the Nexus 7, but as far as possible I wanted to have things set up in terms of the set of applications, similar to the Android phone.

Going to have to root the Nexus 7

Nexus 7 Google

It is only when I tried to use the application that I need to use for the Android tutorial screencasting called BBQ that I remembered that I rooted the S3 in order to be able to do this. The application sends the screen video by Wi-Fi to an application that I run on my Mac and then I am able to capture the screen using ScreenFlow. I have watched a video that shows me how to do this rooting on the Nexus 7 using my Mac, but I want to leave myself loads of time for doing this, just in case something goes wrong along the way. Sometimes there could be a change to the operating system or some other part of the necessary files that I have downloaded and the whole process could get messed up. I told my neighbour that I will be rooting the Nexus 7 and he reckoned that would probably void the warranty. I would imagine that it is also possible to put the Nexus back to the way it was if needed. I have already done backups of the device, just in case. So I am not too worried about warranty difficulties. So I will be doing more tutorials like the one for the best test editing app for Android soon.

Reading books with the Kindle app

Android vs iOS. I just set up the Kindle app on the Nexus 7 and I am quite pleased with the results compared to the way that the books look on the Kindle app on iOS. The text looked okay on the iPad, but then when I looked at the same text in Kindle on the Android device, there was formatting that made the book very much easier to read.

Necessary extras for the Nexus 7

The Nexus 7 I bought has only 16 GB of storage space and I'm sure that I will use that up fairly quickly. I found out that there is a possibility of extending the storage space by buying an On the Go - OTG Cable and with this I will be able to plug-in USB storage. This could be very handy although at the moment I don't have any USB memory sticks available. So I will have to send in an order to buy a USB 32GB stick that I can OTG plug into the Nexus 7. I will be able to use this if I want to have some movies or music stored outside of the Android device. I want to be sure that I can leave plenty of space for movie clips and audio recordings that I will be creating myself by using the camera and also using applications like Audio Evolution Mobile.

Going paperless with an Android device

One of the applications that I have installed on the Android is an application called CamScanner. It is an application and it is also a service. Documents that I create using this application go to a web server as well as being saved on the device. Not only that, but the documents are also synchronised out to other devices using the same application. I have been using another application on my iOS devices called Scanner Pro which I really like because it functions so well, but I can see that the synchronisation facilities between platforms will be very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment